List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: background layout
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-29 12:05:55

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 10:26, William Leese wrote:
>
>>Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>
>>>hi all...
>>>
>>>a new background dialog has been committed to CVS. there's a bit of a
>>>disagreement over some layout issues. screenshots can be seen at:
>>>
>>>	http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/screens/bgdialog/
>>>
>>>i'd welcome some input.
>>
>>"Text color" has not been integrated in a differrent kcm (yet)?
>

> not for the desktop. this setting used to be elsewhere, but it's here now
> since this setting really depends on your wallpaper/background colour
> choices.
>

>>Has it become standard to make the color select widgets as wide as the
>>layout permits?
>

> i don't know of any standard for doing so, no... however, i am seeing it more
> often in KDE apps.. the reason i did so here was to make the widgets similar
> in size. ragged edges distract something fierce, while widgets that line up
> are nice..
>
> i just wish that you could coordinate columns between different layouts, that
> way i could get ALL the widgets in that dialog to line perfectly, not just
> the widgets in each box...
>

>>Nitpick: For the frame titles I'd change "Color" to "Background Color"
>>and "Picture" to "Background Picture". I don't believe it's redundant in
>>this case because of the limited amount of entities and the presence of
>>"Icon Text". OTOH it's more suggestive.
>

> i'll try that out ...
>

>>It's better, but it still feels cluttered. I think this is more because
>>of the widget sizing rather than the amount of features presented.
>

> ok.. new revisions at:
>
> 	http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/screens/bgdialog/

I definitely prefer the version without the jagged edges, personally... I
think the dialog just provides so many features that it's bound to feel a
little crowded, especially with the eye-candy theme.

My only thought is that you could space the groupboxes out a bit more, I just
remembered my webdesigner gf lecturing me on the mportance of whitespace as
somewhere to rest your eyes.

What's in the "advanced" dialog?

--
Alistair Davidson