List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: BeOS and KDE compared: screenshots of trash and file context menu
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2003-01-28 16:51:06

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 16.35, kudling@kde.org wrote:
> > students working there to rename  a file. None of them used the context
> > menu (they used windows) or the the control key to do it. I also asked
> > them if they
>
> Yes, but renaming files in-place is more intuitive in a double-click
> world, imo. In a single-click world you first need to select the thing
> by dragging a selection rectangle around the file. I find a rmb much
> quicker and more convenient than dragging a mouse around... especially
> on notebooks.

Perhaps you are right. The problem is that it is harder to select things in
singleclick mode.  Though I think that most single click users would use
ctrl-click for select rather than drawing a selection rectangle, espesially
on a laptop with less than optimal pointing device. But just like KDE,
windows can be configured to use single click. So I suppose it works in that
mode as well. Or this may  be the reason that very few windows users use
single click.

 Still this kind of functionality seams to be very useful for those KDE users
that prefer doubleclick.

Regards
Uno Engborg