List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: BeOS and KDE compared: screenshots of trash and file context menu
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2003-01-27 18:56:51

On Monday 27 January 2003 21.59, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> > > Another thing that could be removed from the context menux is the
> > > "Rename" item. This could  be done by direct manipulaton of the text
> > > instead. I.e. select the file you want to rename, then make it possible
> > > to click the text of the selected file to select the filename text,
> > > then write the new name. This is how the majority of the windows users
> > > do to rename files (even though windows actually have a "Rename"  menu
> > > item). In KDE we could use the "Properties" dialog if we want some
> > > other way to rename files.
> >
> > I believe we had it like that originally (via properties dialog) but then
> > people couldn't figure out how to rename a file.
>
> I second that emotion... In order to rename through properties, you have to
> understand the name is a property of a file - i.e., like a programmer.
> Most users don't think that way.  While it's good to have the name
> changeable through properties, we need a specific path to renaming...

That specific path would be manipulating the filename text directly.
Or users could still use "Rename" from the "Edit" menu.
I don't think we need four different ways to rename a file.

I hold Linux courses now and then, usually with KDE as GUI. So  I have watched
quite a lot of people trying to rename files in KDE. If they  haven't found
out how to disable single click, they almost always open files by mistake as
they try to manipulate the filename directly.

By the way you are quite right about the "Properties" dialog rename feature
being a programmer sort of thing.

Regards
Uno Engborg