List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Ralph Gottesbuehren <gottesbuehren () web ! de>
Date:       2002-12-04 20:16:54

Am Mittwoch, 4. Dezember 2002 20:22 schrieb Simon Edwards:
> On Wednesday 04 December 2002 16:05, Michael Pye wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 December 2002 12:26 am, Elliott Martin wrote:
> > > Until this thread got started, I didn't know I could have been holding
> > > ctrl, shift and ctrl+shift to do this.  Maybe the little popup menu
> > > should say "Copy Here (ctrl)", "Move Here (shift)", etc.?
> >
> > That's what I'm looking at doing.
>
> I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but in Photoshop at least you
> have a lot of direct manipulation going on, most of which can be modified
> with the help of modifier keys. Photoshop doesn't use any popups, but when
> you are dragging or working on something it just tells you in the its
> status bar "Ctrl to resize, Alt to move" etc, or for Konq "Ctrl to move,
> Alt to link" etc. I think this would be a good solution for Konq. Simple in
> the simple case, but still providing a way for people to learn or be
> reminded (non-intrusively too).
>
> Use the status bar people!  ;-)
>
> cheers,

1st:

Imagine, you drag an icon from a konqui-window to the desktop.
then a message in konqui's status bar appears, right? (the "from"-location)

what would happen, when you do it backwards. where does the message then
appear?

2nd:

photoshop is an app in an own window, so the status bar is always visible
while you use the app and it's ONE status bar. how do you want do do that in
a whole DE? think of overlapping windows and such things...

i'd prefer a solution bundled with the mouse pointer, that's where the user's
visual focus is attempted to. and i'd prefer a one-hand-solution. (too lazy
to use the mouse with my right hand and hold down keys with my left)
btw, think of people with only one hand (i'm not joking).

just  my 2 ct,

friendly yours,
ralph