List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A case for sharing Desktop and home directories
From:       Gav Wood <gav () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-04 11:38:12

> So far there is no problems for your idea, more than it shows that some
> cluttering somewhere may be necessary under certain circumstances. It also
> shows that you may have some parts of your files is totally irrellevant at
> any given time, but still needed for the system to work properly. Such
> files are best left as unvisible as possible.

correct. therefore, this isn't a problem with Carlos's idea and a bug in
kmail.

> There is also no guarrantee that both machines run KDE, e.g the Pentium may
> run KDE but the PowerPC may only run Gnome and if you are unlucky the SGI
> machine only have the standard Irix GUI that maybe calls what you calls
> Desktop for Workbench instead. But that is simple to fix you just create a
> symbolic link from Desktop to Workbench in your $HOME directory. Now
> you have a problem. And I haven't even started on the automount part yet.
>  So you have to suggest the same fix to both Gnome people and the Irix
> people at SGI.  This really needs to be standardiized outside of KDE.

you point out a small problem in the *one* case when your home directory is
shared across *multiple architectures*, and that the user is forced to use
each architecture.

this, despite your anecdotal insistance that it is common, is fairly unlikely
(in my all-so-humble experience). the days of forcing people to use an irix
machine running workbench one day, then a ppc mac running gnome, and then kde
on a pc later are by and large gone. of course, you may show me some real
statistics if you want to convince me (and possibly others).

in any case simply creating a Desktop folder fixes all this using Carlos's
idea, since it reverts to the current kde functionality.

> Now, on to the automount problems. Automount is used to save system and
<snip>
> And setups with automounted home directories is standard procedure for

ah - yes, i would imagine this is more common than your previous "standard
procedure".

> the corporate Unix desktop. Even thoug I really hope tha no poor soal
> really have three different architectures in their company that need to

indeed.

(assuming i understand what you mean) the "automount problem" you suggest
isn't actually a problem. it doesn't actually matter that path the Desktop
shows, whether it's $HOME or $HOME/Desktop. in either case $HOME will have to
be mounted while the user is logged in.

> I mean that you could replace cd with a program or a shell script that
> makes, you end up in /home/username/Desktop when you type cd and are logged
> in as user username. in some shells you may even do it as aliases.
> The real issue is that you want the user to end up on the Desktop
> regardless if he logs in from a shell or uses the GUI environment.
> Fixing it the way you suggest breaks things. Fixing it with changes to cd
> and login scripts don't

****no it's not****

the real reason is that there is only one physical location for the user to
use as their place on the filesystem. reread carlos's first post and all of
mine if you're still in any doubt as to the point.

what you suggest is a *hack*.

gav
- --
Gav Wood <gav@kde.org>