List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: new kdm looks horrible
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-04 9:55:47

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:24:00AM -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> or perhaps an editable combo box that lists all the known users on the
> system... leave it editable so you can enter users that aren't listed (for
> whatever reason =), but then it is immediately apparent what that list is:
> users, since it would right next to the label "Username"

already on the todo.

> of course, with pictures associated w/the users this may make the
> combobox rather large. perhaps the pictures should appear elsewhere,
> depending on which user is selected?

the idea exists to substitute the logo area with the selected user's
pic.

> of course, that means you can't use the pictures to visually pick the
> right user.... hmm...

that's why i'm not convinced that it is a good idea to make the combo
the only choice. for small home installations the current list is ideal
(and it does _not_ look terrible ;).

we currently have (yeah neil, sometimes it helps to know the program
you're talking about ;) ShowUsers=[NotHidden|Selected|None]. i see four
solutions, how to merge the options:
* don't merge at all. add ShowUserCombo=<s.a.>. maybe rename ShowUsers
  to ShowUserList. eeek ...
* change to ShowUsers=[NotHidden|Selected] and add UserView=[List|Combo|None]
* ShowHiddenUsers=<bool> + UserView=<s.a.>
  -> bad, as asymmetric ->
* make only one list UserList and an option UserListNegative=<bool>.
  i don't like it too much, as you lose the contents of the UserList
  when you change it's "signedness". otoh, how often do you do that?
i'm such concerned about the naming of the options, as kcmkdm tends to
be incomplete (i still have no idea how to design such a huge kcm gui)
and therefore hand-editing for kdmrc is often required (ShowUsers _is_
coverd, but once you open kdmrc, you want understand everything).
suggestions are strongly welcome.

greetings