List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Desktop being $HOME
From:       Gav Wood <gav () cs ! york ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-12-02 12:42:30

On Monday 02 December 2002 3:29 am, Uno Engborg wrote:
> On Monday 02 December 2002 00:02, Gav Wood wrote:
> >
> > > The home directory in unix is used for a lot of stuff, e.g.
> > > configuration files and folders for various programs and they are not
> > > always dot-files. (e.g the Mail folder of kmail or the mbox file). This
> > > means that the desktop would be cluttered with a lot off stuff that the
> > > user isn't supposed to touch.
> >
> > _i_ _use_ my system with Desktop = $HOME:
> > what you mention here is not a problem.
> >
> > the only (very slight) annoyance is the Mail folder as you point out.
> > this could be solved fairly easily (e.g. making it do something in
> > konqueror? or allowing it to be a hidden file?).
> >
> > there is certainly not "a lot off stuff that the user isn't supposed to
> > touch" on my desktop.
>
> I gather that you are the sysadmin of your system, and that you can install
> programs at their standard locations at all times. But in many places you
> are not allowed to do that. Then you may end up with $HOME/bin, $HOME/lib
> $HOME/include, $HOME/var, ... none of wich you are likely to interact with
> by using the mouse.  Actually this situation might happen even if you have
> root priviledges or can persuade root to install things in standard places
> for you. Imagine you use software libraries that are not licensed to be
> shared by the other users of the system? Where do you put these files? And
> where do I hide the games I don't like my boss to see when he passes by?

how about $HOME/MySystem/bin, $HOME/MySystem/lib, $HOME/MySystem/include, ...?

or if you dont want to see the heirarchy s/MySystem/.mysystem/

with appropriate ./configure args, and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables set up this
is clean. indeed this is the way i had to work on my (rather represive) uni
account for some time.

> The need for some place to hide away things are not uncommon.
> I could use hidden folders but then, how do they stand out from various
> preferences files. Another option would be to have some way in konqueror to
> hide files and folder other than having them start with a dot. But in my
> oppinion this would be a cludge.

depends whether you want the heirarchy accessible from the desktop or not. for
me it wasn't a problem.

> > > I really can't see how  the change makes it easier to find things.
> >
> > one path for the user's "my main place" as opposed to two.
> >
> > > Besides most othter systems have their desktop arrangement the same
> > > way. Changing it would make it harder to administrate systems where
> > > users can chose between different desktop environments e.g. KDE and
> > > Gnome.
> >
> > i hate to say this after all the questionable stuff i've ranted on about
> > in this list, but administration issues when choosing between kde and
> > gnome are hardly a kde usability issue.
>
> Sorry, but if your sysadmin happens to say that he will only support one
> desktop environment due to the differences in foldeer structure, and he
> decides that the only desktop enviroment  is going to be  Gnome you have a

hehe. well, to be fair your sysadmin might be even more of a fool and tell you
that you're only allowed to use twm because he/she deems anything else a
security risk/health hazard/some other represive reason.

changing the desktop directory is hardly a "difference in folder structure" -
all it means is that rather than having to open your home directory in a
window it is presented to you automatically when you log in.

indeed on all (?) kde installations now it can be changed with one simple
setting.

> problem. We need more interoperability not less. One of the reasons Unix
> isn't the most common desktop is that various Unix vendors couldn't stop
> fighting each other.  And while they were fighting MS-Windows emerged as a
> market leader. Let's not repeat that mistake.

again, who is or isn't the market leader is not an issue for usability
discussion.

interoperability is generally good, but it must not be (ab)used as a wildcard
defense when kde does anything differently to any other system.

gav
- --
Gav Wood <gav@cs.york.ac.uk>
http://www.indigoarchive.net/gav/