List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Dangerous context menus
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-26 20:41:56

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 20:24, Edoardo Causarano wrote:
> Let me explain more clearly. This idea  came up in the form of changing the
> context menu for the delete/trash entry. Then I extended and somewhat
> drifted away the concept to a more general setup. Imagine having a default
> uncluttered context menu.

So far I agree.

> Pressing the infamous modifier would trigger a
> menu redraw that included even further options.

Here I _disagree_. It is a _context_ menu, with the most used features
available in a quick menu for power users. It's not the one and only menu
that's supposed to simply hold each and every available option.

I'd much rather remove the delete option from the context menu altogether.

What _would_ be useful is a way to customize the context menu a la the XMLGUI
normal menus, but even without that I'd still simply remove the option
altogether instead of adding an upgly hack like your proposal that nobody is
going to find anyway.

> I've seen this behaviour in
> OsX, eg. the printer tool. Clicking the add printer icon reveals a menu
> showing various printer locations (usb, net, sambe, par, etc...)
> Command+clicking the menu icon adds an advenced configuration option that
> provides certain functionality not normally used by the average user.

Here you have essentially a left-click and a right-click menu, since a Mac has
only one mouse button. What you would be introducing is the equivalent of a
middle-click menu, or even worse, a right-click-with-modifier menu. IMNSHO
that's not the same. Besides, even Mac OS X is not the holy grail per se. In
fact, some things in OS X are worse than in normal Mac OS usability-wise.

--
Martijn