List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Clipboard for the dummies
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-11-01 14:06:44

On Friday 01 November 2002 12:03, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  Also, selection and clipboard are completely separate, at least from the
> implementation point of view. Having a Klipper setting for automatic
> selection->clipboard syncing (one-way, off by default) seems to be
> acceptable and harmless, besides the broken KDE2 behaviour, which many
> people want for some reason.

Yes, as long as it is not the default. It can be quite confusing and even
cause people to lose data (when you cut something, and then accidentally make
a selection). I know that there is a clipboard history, but the majority of
users does not.

>  Other apps, including KDE apps, usually use a less consistent mess, by
> allowing one or more of the following:
> - only text selected by the mouse becomes the selection (i.e. not text
> selected by keyboard, or autoselected lineedits)

IMHO this is good, because at least autoselected lineedits should not destroy
my selection.

> - when there's no selected text, selection is still remembered (the last
> valid selection) - this is why Qt lineedits unselect on focus out, while
> Gtk ones don't

This is quite important for me. I frequently select text in Konsole, KSirc or
other apps with 'changing' text. I also select text in a dialog and then
close it, before pasting.

bye...