List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE blindly imitating other OS? No!
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-09-25 17:19:26

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 07:05, Michael Peligro wrote:
> PS. Double-clicking is a bad approach that Microsoft did to Windows. They
> DID realize the mistake later on, but somehow didn't exert the effort to
> force users to retrain themselves (by completely eliminating double-click
> in Windows), sacrificing retraining for greater usability gains.

That's a nice theory looking back on that bit of history now, but I'm pretty
sure that is not how it happened at the time. It's more like: The Web was
being recognised as the next Big Thing in computing and MS wanted jump on
that bandwagon good and proper (and kill Netscape). So that started
integrating web pages and web style functionality into windows desktop, and
single-click style was introduced to the desktop that way.

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/