List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K-Menu/Xandros Launch
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-09-20 15:31:10

> > What do people think about adding a work like Launch to the
> > K-menu?

I think some kind of label that appears on hover, as someone else here
described is a great idea.  Or perhaps I just need to be a bigger, brighter
tooltip.

> Last time this was discussed somewhere on KDE mailinglists I had the
> impression people agreed that the solution is to open the K menu
> automatically after the start if there are no other apps restored.
> Three gains:
> 1. square K button could stay
> 2. people learn that there is a common menu and where it is
> 3. one click less to do
>
> Don't know how this would interact with first time start and
> KPersonalizer. Perhaps when finished KPersonalizer could fire a DCOP
> signal to the K menu to open...

I like the idea of having the KMenu open itself for the first few startups,
but then it should stop happening, perhaps with a dialog, or a Kandalf's tips
or something like that explaining why it doesn't open anymore.  This might
mollify those who would want it disabled.

I don't think it should open itself on every start, as that will not help a
totally new user learn how to use it normally.

Cheers,

Eric