List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Bugzilla is *much* to scary
From:       tech () bishop ! dhs ! org
Date:       2002-09-17 3:25:43

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 07:15:46PM -0700, Michael Collette wrote:
> On Monday 16 September 2002 07:08 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > On Monday September 16, 2002 06:53, Michael Collette wrote:
> > > Umm, now I gots a question.  What in the wide wide world of sports does
> > > this have to do with KDE Usability??
> >
> > KDE's bug tracker shouldn't be more confusing than the rest of KDE
> > combined.
> >
> > Any dialog committed into KDE that looked like Bugzilla would probably be
> > cvs remove -f'd. :-)
>
> The same could be said about C++, but developers still utilize it.  That's
> because it's a development tool the end user never has to see.  Bugzilla
> falls into a roughly similar category.  This is especially true for the
> process of clearing bugs, which end users have no business getting involved
> with.
>
> The usability list is to discuss issues as to how the involve the end user and
> their experience with KDE.  This just isn't the place to even bring up the
> topic of whether or not Bugzilla is an adequate tool for developers.

A quick redefine of "end users" to mean "non developers", and with a
thankful nod to those "end users" who can't code a line in c++, but
*can* and *do* take the time to go through and weedout bogus bug
reports, confirm old ones, and close redundant ones, and now you realize
why it is in KDE's best interest to make it easy for "end users" to be
able to use the bug reporting system.  This is in *addition* to the
reasons listed by Neal.

D.A.Bishop