List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol proposal - screenshot
From:       wvl <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2002-09-16 19:16:20

On Monday 16 September 2002 19:16, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Monday 16 September 2002 08:07 am, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:
> > On Friday 06 September 2002 05:30 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/kcontrol_structure_3_1.html
> >
> > Well, I have finally managed to read all the posts regarding the control
> > center after not reading the list for a week or so (hehe, that was fun),
> > and it sounds like things are shaping up pretty nicely wrt the
> > organization (excepting a couple minor points of contention among
> > people).
> >
> > After looking at the page noted above, I have just one fairly minor
> > suggestion:
> >
> > How do people feel about changing "Peripherals" to "Peripheral Hardware"?
>
> While moving stuff around I noticed that all group titles are fairly long.
> I think shorter titles would be easier and faster to scan, so maybe just
> "Hardware" would be an option?

Easier to scan for people who know what they are looking for. Using rather
general, broad, (as much as possible) non-technical names tends to be easier
to use for the average user than short, 'technical' names.

Atleast, that's what I had inmind when choosing the names. By only changing
Peripheral Hardware to Hardware would be pointless considering other names
are much longer and would result in something that would seem inconsistant
naming. Making this change would require doing the same to all the other
categories which would limit their scope and force us to create more root
categories.

I think KControl (or rather KDE) has reached a point where its functionality
needs to be split in two: average users and power users.

- wvl