List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: improved Crash Dialog needed
From:       robewald () gmx ! net
Date:       2002-08-30 7:31:56

Hi,

I've been a spectator for a while, but now first post to the list :).

<snip>

> Same for the X server: An X server crash is really just an X server bug,
> and
> no KDE dialog will ever really fix the problem. Things like valgrind, gdb,
> unit testing and video card manufacturers who give a damn about their
> drivers
> will help much more.

My X-server just crashed on me, and I got an idea:
Why don't we monitor the X-Server with a watchdog. If it doesn't repond,
switch to a console, give the user a message on the console to login and restart
the x-server or reboot the system. I could even imagine to be able to save
the stuff I was working on with the help of dcop. A quick try didn't work
though, and I'm not very well into the internals of the dcop stuff.

Just my €0.02

Robert

http://www.gmx.net