List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KPersonalizer usability discussion
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-08-30 6:55:17

On Friday 30 August 2002 02:19, Carsten Wolff wrote:
> On Friday 30 August 2002 00:31, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
>
> No, it wouldn't be difficult to change and I thought about it myself
> several times, but I think the behavior is better as is for the following
> reason.
> In the last few weeks I did several KDE installs for so-far-windows-users.
> They all kept going on through the kpersonalizer-pages, only because they
> saw the changes directly and were able to go back and forth, until the
> setting was of their liking. That's because they don't have any idea of
> many of the options. They don't know what a focus-policy could be, or how
> icon-highlighting might look like.
> The redrawing isn't very nice, I know, but I think, it's the right tradeoff
> to make.

Agreed.

IMHO The idea of removing the 'quit &keep' button sounds reasonable to me.

Are you sure you want to quit the KDE Setup Assistant?

If you quit, all changes will be lost. Press cancel to go back and finish your
set up.

| Quit |  Cancel

I have seen such dialogs multible times. The current dialog is rather unusal
for users.
IMHO I would suggest an additional dialog for page 1 where no changes have
been made so far (if the next button has not been pressed):

Are you sure you want to quit the KDE Setup Assistant?

The KDE Setup Assistant helps you to adjust the desktop to you personal taste.