List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Grey out scrollbar button when border reached?
From:       Matt Bonyak <dingodonkey () stny ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-08-28 12:53:43

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 12:36 pm, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> I remember someone claiming on a kde-ml about no visual feedback whether
> in huge lists one already scrolled at the end or just misses one,two
> lines (searched for a reference, but failed). I then already agreed with
> him nodding my head, but being made sensible about this I since then
> over and over again have met this problem.

This is a peeve no doubt, but is it a serious problem?

> Today it just struck me: Why is the corresponding scroll bar button not
> simply greyed out when the view has reached the corresponding end?

At first, I read this as "gray out the scroll bar" instead of "gray out the
scroll bar button" -- Had you meant the entire scrollbar, a huge can of
inconsistency worms would have been opened.  However, by merely graying out
the corresponding button, no harm is done.  Except to make the user think
more.

There are enough components in every window for the user to pay attention to
as it is, the last thing we need is yet another providing feedback.  As it
is, sure, you may not know if you're at the end or not.  So you click the
button to find out.  If you are, nothing happens, no harm is done.  If you're
not, you scroll down as you wanted to.  This system works fine and requires
less feedback interpretation.  I think it's best left as it is.

> Would be consistent with the rest of the user interface, and signal
> whether you are or are not at the end of the view. I still have trouble
> whether this would be acceptable from an aesthetic(word surely
> mispelled, where is my dictionary) POV. But might be a question of
> usage...
>
> What do you think?

I think the current "if you need to scroll, click.  if you're at the bottom,
nothing happens" method is fine.  Yours is certainly an alternative, but I
think the current system is simpler, which is what we want.