List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Taskbar: grouping similar tasks
From:       Frederik Himpe <fhimpe () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2002-08-27 13:40:52

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 15:10, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> Op dinsdag 27 augustus 2002 13:37, schreef Frederik Himpe:
> <snip>
> > I think we should leave on this option by default, as it is very good
> > when you have a lot of windows open. But, I think the grouping should
> > only be done when there is need to, when the entries in the taskbar
> > would become too small to read them. Now it is rather confusing and
> > unnecessary to group two instances of Konqueror when you haven't opened
> > any other applications. For example start grouping tasks when the
> > buttons would become smaller than 120px otherwise.
> >
> I don't think this is a problem and so this has to leave as it is now.  I
> think that it's better that grouping is always on because then you desktop is
> cleaner.  When it is like you said it would be harder for the user because it
> always will switch(grouping<->no grouping).  On the other hand this is good
> thing to explain in the tutorial.

I don't think that "newbie" users will have problems with the switching
between grouping and no grouping: "newbie" users do not tend to use that
many applications at the same time, so that the grouping actually will
have to kick in. I see this with my father: he has at most one browser
window, a word processor and a spreadsheet open at the same time. So in
this case it should not be necessary to do any grouping. That's why I
now have even completely disabled the grouping for him, because he never
will have the problem of a cluttered desktop due to too many apps open.

> PS:  A time ago a kde-newbie(used windows before) asked me how to make it that
> only programs from the current desktop are showed in the taskbar.   So, maybe
> it's better that this is standard so...???

I agree, this should be changed by default, it's another way to avoid a
cluttered taskbar. I think that people who have the skill to use several
desktops, will have enough insight to switch to the right desktop if
they cannot find their application.

Frederik Himpe