List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Konqueror: navigation panel
From:       Frederik Himpe <fhimpe () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2002-08-27 11:26:57

When browsing the local file system with Konqueror, my father found it
very difficult to keep track of where he exactly was in the directory
tree. Adding the navigation panel with the directory tree of the home
directory solved this problem. I think that for the File Management View
Profile the navigation should be on by default and showing the Home
Directory.

Another annoyance with the navigation panel, is that it always opens the
tab you had open the last time you used Konqueror, but unrelated to the
should show the tab in the navigation panel that I had open the last
time I used as file manager, and not the tab that was open when I was
browsing the web. I noticed that it was rather confusing to my father
that he opened his home directory and got his bookmarks in the
navigation panel, because he just browsed the web before. And of course
the other way round: it is confusing to have the contents of the home
directory when you started Konqueror as web browser.

I also think that there should be a button on the toolbar to show/hide
the navigation panel. New KDE users would discover the handy navigation
panel much more quickly, while now it is hidden somewhere in the window
menu.

Frederik Himpe