List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Konqueror: View Profiles concept & setting start page
From:       Frederik Himpe <fhimpe () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2002-08-27 11:09:32

Hello,

The last few days I've been trying to convert my father from Windows
2000 to KDE 3.0.3, and this has given me some interesting information on
some usabilities issues, not only by my father, but also by configuring
some things for him.

To keep some overview I will split them in several e-mail messages with
related points. I'm planning to make reports of them, or mabye preparing
some patches (although I don't have experience in KDE programming).
Could somebody point me in the right directions where to find
information how to create a report in the XML-format being used here?

I'll begin with the first usability issue I encountered. I wanted to set
a default start page for the Konqueror web browser. Although I have been
using Konqueror since its first release, I had no idea how to do this.
So I think this is a serious flaw. I did a search in the Usenet archive,
and I found the solution which involved saving the web browsing view
profile.

Well, I was astonished, I did not even know of the existence of this
logical. I think that if we would provide a better method for setting
the start page for the "web browsing view profile", it would not hurt
that people don't know of the existence of these view profiles.

My suggestion is to put a field labeled "Web browser start page:"
somewhere in the first tab in the Konqueror settings. I think that the
label "Home URL" in the File Manager Settings, should be renamed to
"File manager start page", so the difference between these two is clear.

I also propose to put an entry "Set as default start page" in the
Location menu.

Frederik Himpe