List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Icon control page, updated
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-08-27 6:04:10

On Monday 26 August 2002 11:48, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Ok, if we want to go for the "everything accessible from one page" approach
> I would suggest to do the following:
>
> Beneath the Groupbox "Themes" of Aarons last suggestion (as a onepage
> version it's a very nice layout indeed) I would add a slider which one
> could use to make the icons in general larger and smaller (perhaps in a way
> that would make the toolbar icons and menu icons grow a little bit "behind"
> the desktop/panel-icons).
>
> Next to this slider there should be an Advanced Button which opens a dialog
> which includes the remaining possible customizations (double sized pixels,
> exact size per group etc.).

looking more at that dialog, all three checkbox settings (double, animate
icons and higlight under mouse) should apply to all icon groups. setting
animated icons in file manager but not the panel seems to be a bit
over-configurable to me.

the size slider as you suggest sounds interesting indeed and would probably
work quite well.

but instead of an advanced dialog in this case (since the two modes: detailed
per group settings or general desktop-wide settings) are mutually exclusive,
perhaps there should be a "more options" button like the new KNotify dialog
has which expands the dialog to show the list box with the various icon
groups (File Management, Main Toolbar, etc) and the icon effects button.

thoughts?

> Below the Size entry one would have a kind of  IconEffect Style/Scheme box
> in which you can select some nice preset Effects (like "Highlight on
> mouseover", "Grey Toolbars for artists", "Visually Impaired", "Nightvision
> mode for astronomers", "violet style for netscape lovers" etc. similar to
> the color scheme dialog). Next to this listbox there would also be a button
> to enter a new dialog which makes it possible to tune the iconeffects and
> create a new "scheme/style".

hm. this sounds like it is getting a bit complex. perhaps needlessly.

> This approach would probably be less cluttered and easier to understand at
> once while not using tabs. I think this approach might even obviously be
> better than the current tab-solution. But it would require quite some stuff
> to be implemented.

we have until 3.2, lots of time =)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo