List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clock prefs .ui
From:       Christian Lavoie <clavoie () bmed ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2002-08-26 19:03:06

On Lunes 26 Agosto 2002 14:53, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 26 August 2002 12:38, Michael Pye wrote:
> > More like this?
> >
> > Having done it, I can probably agree. I'm not too sure which tab should
> > come first though, Type or General?
>
> General, probalby, for consistency elsewhere...
>
> comments:
>
>  o why is there an antialiasing option here? this seems rather ....
> esoteric. why aren't the font AA settings used? if possible, getting rid of
> this setting would be good IMO.

Antialiasing for the analog clock, not for the fonts. Looking at the 3.0.3
clock prefs dialog helps understand what we're trying to improve on ;)

>  o colour scheme: i know that all sane people spell it "Colour" ;-P but KDE
> uses US english by default, so it is "Color". also, what is the color
> scheme drop down for? shouldn't it just be a checkbox ("Use custom
> colors")?

Colour scheme: (Spell it color when you commit the patch, I'll spell it colour
out of habit -- nothing personal, I just don't ever think before writing it)

For the LCD clock, 'digital' scheme, 'normal' scheme-std-colours or 'normal'
scheme-custom-colours. I think that was me f*cking up earlier, around
clock-panel-mp-0.0.3.

What I had in mind was that 'digital' told the LCD clock to be digital,
'normal' told the normal clock to be normal, and custom colours told both to
use the given colours.

Explained like that, there's obviously something wrong. This should thus be
'default clock colours' or 'custom user colours' and the LCD clock looks like
an LCD clock and the default clock looks like a VCR's clock.

Comments?

>  o the font... buttons, should they be "Choose Font..."?

I removed the Choose: Pretty much implied anyway, and small is beautiful.
Could be convinced otherwise easily, but I'd like to hear your opinions on
the removal.

>  o Show date/seconds should probably be layed out vertically. horizontal
> and vertical layout in the same area should be avoided if possible (which
> it isn't always)

True, but vertical takes more space in this dialog, which is already big
enough on 640x480 screens.

Which is more important for HIG? Screen estate or visual consistency?

>  o it would be nice if a preview was visible when modifying things on the
> general tab as well

See my other email.

> i'm sure there's more.. i'll look at it more this evening perhaps..

Have fun,
Chris

--
I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere.

Christian Lavoie, clavoie@bmed.mcgill.ca
http://www.christianlavoie.com