List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clock prefs .ui
From:       Christian Lavoie <clavoie () bmed ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2002-08-25 21:50:57

On Sábado 24 Agosto 2002 05:08, Michael Pye wrote:
> On Friday 23 August 2002 11:13 pm, Ryan Cumming wrote:
> > The minimum vertical height of this page on my setup is nearly 600
> > pixels. That is the full screen height at 800x600, and with Kicker and
> > the "OK", "Apply", and "Cancel" buttons, your page would not fit on the
> > screen. I suggest you either remove widgets or find a way to split the
> > page in to
>
> tabs.
>
> OK, I've reduced the height.

I've tried to reduce it even more: See what I attached.

A couple of comments 'against' your design (please don't take 'em personnal,
I'm not really sure I'm right about these... to all: Please discuss)

 * Your antialias controls seem wrong. Since 'Low' 'High' and 'No antialias'
are all mutual exclusives, I think they should be in the same control. In the
attached, they are selected using a KComboBox.

 * Same for LCD colours vs Custom colours

 * 'Show date' and 'Show seconds' are basically the same idea, so they should
be near each other.

> > My personal opinion is that your page has too many very rarely enabled
>
> widgets
>
> > sprinkled throughout it. My idea for a revised clock preferences was to
> > simply move the "Show Date" checkbox to the first page, and to only show
> > the tab of the currently selected clock type (maybe under a different
> > name, such as "Advanced (Plain Clock)".)
>
> That might be a less cluttered solution. At the moment, my theory is that
> the more ideas I throw out the better I'll get at it.
>
> I've attached the differently shaped one here. It's a good way below
> 800x600. I don't think the number of widgets is too bad, perhaps patially
> because you don't have to deal with all of them for any one clock. The
> disabled ones make it fairly obvious at a glance what is applicable...

Removing tabs altogether would be nice. There are too many in this widget. See
attached: How about making the stuff in the 'Type' QGroupBox change with the
current clock type? Meaning, instead of disabling the controls we can't use
on a given type, how about removing them altogether?

What's wrong with what I attached: Colour scheme should be visible in the
current dialog. Frankly, the whole clock should be.

Have fun,
Chris

--
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Christian Lavoie, clavoie@bmed.mcgill.ca
http://www.christianlavoie.com
["clock-panel-chris-0.0.3.ui.ui" (application/x-designer)]