List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Icon control page, updated
From:       Michael Pye <mp () fuckmicrosoft ! com>
Date:       2002-08-25 16:41:35

Firstly, I would like to point out that the proposal released with the subject
line above has been superceded three times. I would invite you to look at a
more recent version. I won't waste list bandwidth with an attachment, if you
do not have the appropriate messages I would be pleased to send you the
latest revision personally.

On Sunday 25 August 2002 4:38 pm, you wrote:
> Personally I think that this new proposal is much worse than the current
> implementation (which was created by me and was improved by Waldo Bastian)
> and I see no real advantages. I rather see lots of disadvantages.

Fair enough. I only want to improve, but others on the list did support
advantages of the proposed design. One very simple improvement is that even
in CVS, the Add Theme button brings up a completely redundant line edit when
paths can be typed directly into a file requester in exactly the same way if
prefered. While this isn't immediately apparent from the .ui, it was clearly
mentioed in the accompanying commentry.

> Most users who want to change something about the icons want to change the
> Icontheme as the icon size is something which is set automatically according
> to the display resolution. The remaining few < 5% have to choose the second
> tab where the advanced features can be seen.
>
> On your solution these quite advanced features like "animated icons" and
> "effects" are plainly visible and serve only for irritation for 95% of the
> users.

Personally, I don't understand this idea. As the proposal combines both tabs
of the original in a more effective use of space it gives added convenience
to those who do want access to all the options. As the proposal does not
require more screen estate and the "regular" and "advanced" options are
seperated by their group boxes, so I fail to see how users will be irritated
by their existance.

Perhaps if this were part of a common application or a component of the
desktop unneccessary options would be an irritation, after all the space can
be put to better use. However, this is a configuration screen, accessed only
to make alterations to the system. As with any configuration system, almost
all users will find some parts irrelevant to them, but splitting so few
options across two tabs does not allow a clear overview of what is available.

> Also your solution lacks the "Comments".

If you mean the theme descriptions, they can of course be added, but those
descriptions I have seen distributed with icon sets and with the kdeartwork
package tend towards redundancy, reading as though they were written only
because the presence of a description field demanded it. The inclusion of an
author's field covers the only semi-construction use I have seen for the
description.

> In addition your layout
> prevents that we will be able to add a Screenshot Preview instead of the
> IconPreview for Iconthemes (which makes sense if you only change a few icons
> or just icons in certain icon groups).

Fair point, and one I hadn't considered. But I must wonder how useful a full
screenshot preview would be. After all, the most you can hope to accomodate
in kcontrol would be about 300px wide. That brings the 32x32 icons of a
(slightly smaller than standard) 1024x768 display down to about 9x9 pixels,
or a mere smudge of colour. A much more useful tool if you want to see how
your theme will look is the "Apply" button, after all, you can always revert
to the old settings.

> Concerning the Effects part I guess that you simply didn't get what you can
> do with effects (it's not just there for "highlightning"). But of course I
> can't say that for sure as the .ui-file lacks the Advanced Highlight
> settings (way too long name anyways - the word "settings" is completely
> redundant).

No, I don't get what they are for. At least not other than to denote the icon
under the pointer and an icon which won't respond. I don't understand what
use applying an effect to the normal icons. But I would be greatful if you or
anyone else could point out my oversight.

As for the word "settings", I admit that the button title could be more
succinctly worded, however in its current form the word settings is far from
redundant. "Icon Highlight" makes no sense, though it has just occured to me
that "Icon Highlighting" may be an good alternative to the original.

The .ui for the effects dialogue was created seperately and I have posted it
to the list where it also underwent peer review and revision.

My proposals are only made in an effort to bring about improvement. There is
always room for improvement. :)
--
MP