List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: First-time tutorial outline
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-08-24 7:51:21

On Friday 23 August 2002 17:58, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> I agree. When I first suggested this, what I had in mind was a simple
> introduction to KDE so that when a new user is presented with the desktop,
> they are not thinking, "What the **** do I do now?"
>
> The two most important things it should do is show the user how to use the
> KMenu and how to get further, more detailed help.

OK.my 0.02¤ hint. The fisrt thing a user sees is kpersonalizer. Most users
will just press next, next, next...finish. So, make the tutorial pop up after
kpersonalizer (*) putt the next button of the tutorial at the same place as
the next/finish button of kpersonalizer. I believe users are lazy (espezially
newbies) and rather don't move the mouse if it isn't necessary.  IMHO I would
show some sort of 'progress bar' like page 1 of 10, slide 1/10, 10%...

(*) I can help with that. I am developing on kpersonalizer. I can make your
tutorial start.

Cheers

Christoph