List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clock Defaults
From:       Michael Peligro <optimus () philwebinc ! com>
Date:       2002-08-23 6:21:55

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 12:10 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 August 2002 04:41, Ryan Cumming wrote:
> > Firstly, I think that the blinking colon should be disabled by default,
> > for two reasons:
>
> i agree w/your reasoning on this.

I keep the blinking colon "on" to remind me that the Window Manager is still
functioning normal. Whenever a GUI application freezes, I check the blinking
colon. If the colon is blinking, then I kill the apps with X-kill. But if the
blinking colon stops, it cues me that the Window Manager's stuck, and it's
time to press Ctrl - Alt - <--. The blinking colon does not only provide
visual cues that the clock is functioning okay, but is also an indicator of
the Window Manager's well-being. I hope you keep the blinking colon on.
Ryan's problem is a minor incident, and he can always turn off the blinking
colon.

If the blinking colon is used to diagnose the Window Manager's state, wouldn't
it be more helpful whenever KDE freezes, a dialog pops up and says:

KDE is stuck or has crashed. Press Ctrl - Alt - <-- to restart KDE.

It's much more helpful because it:
1. Informs the user what happened
2. Tells the user what to do next.

In this way, I won't use the blinking colon anymore.

Regards,
Michael