List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How about a first-time interactive tutorial?
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-08-22 12:27:32

On Thursday 22 August 2002 13:07, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> Op donderdag 22 augustus 2002 13:21, schreef Alistair Davidson:
> > Not sure where to insert my comments into this thread so I'll just do a
> > general email...
> >
> > I don't like the idea of testing users before giving them a tutorial.
> > It'll be boring (even if it's short), possibly confusing to absolute
> > newbies, and generally bad.
>
> You are right.  But it can added as an option: you don't have to do the
> test but it's better for you later if you do.

i really object to the whole test idea as a matter of principle, I think it's
overcomplicating things.

> This A.I. makes a profile transparant to the user and can support the user
> better(like a real teacher).  This A.I.-tutorial would be a succes in the
> media I think and maybe a good reason to release a kde4.0 ;-) ...It's only
> very hard to make I think...

The trouble is that it's not a matter of skill, but of knowledge. I can know
everything in the tutorials but one or two things dotted around here and
there and an AI won't pick that up (unless you know something about AI that I
don't...)

> > The way these work,
> > usually, is that a box will pop up saying something like "Click here to
> > move your tank",
>
> Also kids and weak persons will use the tutorial:  so, no warthings for
> example!

I wasn't suggesting that we have tanks in the KDE tutorial! I was explaining
how tutorials in computer games work. :)

> > I think this is by far the best way of doing tutorials, because it's
> > interactive right the way through, and the lessons will be easier to
> > remember because you've performed the task.
>
> When you enjoy it, you will remember it better...

Agreed :)

> > Not only that, but it should be
> > simple to store the whole thing in XML files and i18n it.
>
> Maybe that the lessons(games, pictures,...) can also be different par
> language...

If it's needed I don't see why not...

- --
Alistair Davidson