List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: List archives + KDE CVS and Icons control module
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-08-21 22:06:28

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 02:35, Michael Pye wrote:
> I have browsed what archives I found at
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-usability/ but found only one major
> thread on the CC. From this I found that Jono is heavily involved with
> these improvements.

no, not any more. haven't seen much of Jono around lately. Charles Samuels was
involved in much of the current hierarchy reorg, but then he got real busy
with Real Life(tm). Stephan Binner is still doing things in there though,
AFAIK.

> In the mean time, I also finished a successful build of the CVS kdebase,
> and I am impressed by the great difference between the control centre in
> 3.0.3 and CVS! However, I can still see a lot of work to do, and many of my
> pet problems are still apparant (though it is great to see the Look & Feel
> section so much reduced in size!). So I'm building kdevelop so that I can
> hack at a few of them and gather comments.

sweet. yes, KControl is getting better, but there are many, many burrs left.
almost all of them have to do with the individual panel arrangements as Don
already mentioned. there are still some organizational issues remaining that
cause the hierarchy to suck more than it should, but they are diminishing.

if they don't get fixed shortly (e.g. this week) i'll probably set aside an
evening to wade in a clean things up. e.g. Personalization is back, there
should probably be a security section (passwords, encryption, etc), the
System/Power Control group should be removed and the item(s) in it merged
into the System group, etc....

> For this reason I plan to make a mockup of a new module for "Look & Feel /
> Icons" and then invite criticism and make changes as appropriate. If my
> contribution is crap, bin it, I have reasonably thick skin.

heh.. well, you'll get lots of input. but that usually results in something
better, rarely the wholesale binning of an idea...

> I'm just stating my intent here to check no one else is actively working on
> the icons module right now.

not that i know of. you will probably want to contact the maintainers (as
found in the header files) for input once you have something resembling a
draft put together.

btw, while tackling this, you may want to look into the possibility of making
the effects page a bit more useful. the icons panel is linked to from a few
places (such as one of the desktop panels) as a way to provide contextually
sensicle access to the effects settings. currently this just opens the icons
panel when it really ought to open up to the icon effects page with a
specific set of effects selected (e.g. Desktop/File Manager).

or better yet, the icon effects page should be made into a stand-alone widget
that can be used directly in those other dialogs (removing the need for the
push button launching of another panel altogether)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein