List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How about a first-time interactive tutorial?
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-08-21 17:00:28

Op woensdag 21 augustus 2002 02:55, schreef u:
<snip>

> It's simply easier to have the thing progress in lessons.

It has to be possible to skip lessons and it has to be possible to start
everywhere the related lessons to that button/app/titlebar/...  I think the
best is that the tutorial test the user first and that it then shows only the
lessons that are interesting for this user.

>  We're not a
> training for expert users but rather an introduction to KDE.  It's sort of
> like:

ok, but I think that many ex-windows/mac/gnome/...-users will skip all the
lessons if this is shown at start...and maybe there will be lessons for them.

> Chapter 1: "This is a mouse.  Use the mouse to click on the button.  Good!"
> Chapter 2: "This panel on the button is called the "Panel" or, in
> KDE-specific language, "Kicker".  The icons are:
> -1: The KMenu.  Click on the KMenu to open it.  The KMenu contains the
> applications that you launch.  Click on the KMenu now.
> -2: These buttons are "Quick Buttons" for easy access to applications.  So,
> instead of going all the way up the KMenu to access the Web Browser, you
> can click on this icon instead.  Click on it now.
> 2a: You have just launched "Konqueror", which is KDE's file browser and web
> browser.  We'll look at Konqueror a little bit later, so click on the "X"
> in the top-right corner of your screen to close it.  You can also select
> "File -> Quit" from the menu.
> -3: This item here is the Taskbar.  It contains a list of the windows that
> are currently on your screen.  If you want to activate a window, you can
> click on the taskbar to bring it up to the front.  We will launch some
> windows now. See how the taskbar now has two "bars" in it with icons?  One
> is "Text Editor" and the other is "Web Browser".  Let's bring the text
> editor to the front. To do that, click on the bar with the label "Text
> Editor".

I agree, but I think it's better that they are "dynamic":
<example>
Welcome {Irwin}!  [{picture of you teacher: woman, man,
pinguin,...(distributions can add others off course)}]

{anecdote based on previous lessons with this user}

Ready to start our {first lesson}?
The picture below is a mouse:
               [mouse]
 {{only shown when the user has no experience with it: this is detected in
 the firststart-wizard that makes an profile}Something like this is what you
 have on your desk.  In this lesson you will learn to handle it in kde.  You
 have to move it with your hand.... Move now the mouse-button to the
 next-button on the screen and click on it withe the left button of you
 mouse.}