List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How about a first-time interactive tutorial?
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-08-21 13:58:02

Op dinsdag 20 augustus 2002 20:20, schreef Alistair Davidson:
<snip>
> Generally user levels defined by the user are a bad idea for various
> reasons; better would be to put all the straightforwards stuff in the early
> tutorials and harder stuff in the later ones, and give them all good names
> and descriptions. That way, the user can skip the parts they're unfamiliar
> with without having to guess at what our conceptions of "newbie" and
> "expert" are.

You are right, but when you place the "hardest" stuff at the end and the
simple stuff in the beginning, more experienced users will stop the tutorial
directly and they never will know the hardest features....maybe it's
interesting to do a user-level-test in the beginning of the tutorial(after
the welcome-screen).(e.g.: "Have you already experience with
computers?"-->no=>end of wizard: all newbie-tutorials are selected and will
be played OR-->yes==next question==>Have you experience with one of the
following environements? (kde1, gnome, win9x/me/2k, win xp, mac,comand
line...(when you move the mouse over it, you will see a screenshot the
environement...;-) )=>...)  After this wizard the tutorial will select which
tutorials are good for you and which of them aren't.

btw:
oSomething that maybe is interesting to implement if the tutorial will use
multimedia-stuff like videos, music,...(to keep the kde-packages small):
Dowloading automatically these big optional material from a server when an
internetconnection is detected and the user want it.

--
Sander Devrieze.
Jabber ID: sander@jabber.at