List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Klipper?
From:       Dana <techlists () adelphia ! net>
Date:       2002-08-18 17:07:29

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 01:49:43 -0700, Ryan Cumming wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Apparently many users at LWCE were confused by Klipper's=
 actions.
>This is
>understandable, as the popup steals the user's attention at
>unexpected times,
>and the source of the popup isn't very obvious. What does the=
 list
>think
>about disabling Klipper actions by default, and allowing power=
 users
>to turn
>it back on?
>
>-Ryan

The default actions enabled is KDE's single most annoying pet=
 peeve. I almost always highlight and backspace URL's to clear=
 the address bar and the popup drove me mad untill the day I=
 finally figured out how to get rid of it (great day IMHO). I=
 think the klipper popup is intrusive and annoying, I like to=
 have control of my system and that popup nag window is not it.=
 Imagine if windows had a feature like this

I see you have highlighted some text
Would you like to:
Email it to a friend with Hotmail
Open up outlook express
go to "    ".com with internet explorer
Search MSN for the highlighted information
Edit it with MS office
Ignore this message till you highlight something else

I think Klipper should stay there for the history feature (even=
 though I don't use it), but I honestly cannot see any reason to=
 have actions enabled by default. There might be a few people who=
 like it, most probably find it annoying, and I flat out cannot=
 stand it. I have asked a couple other people what they think=
 about it, actions off seems to be the majority rule. Sorry if my=
 reply seems harsh but I think that feature makes a big=
 difference in usability.

=09-Dana