List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Control Center
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-08-05 16:24:05

On Monday 05 August 2002 17:36, Poletti Don wrote:
> One argument I heard for having the application setting here is if
> it is a componet it could be embedded in another app with no way to
> set the preferences. I don't have a good solution but I'm against having
> them in the control panel.

But where do you want to put them? You can't solve the problems of the Control
Center by moving config panels somewhere else. This will make them even
harder to find, and not easier.

IMHO the only way to simplify is to
- reorganize the structure, so options are easier to find (which is happening
all the time)
- removing options completely (which is almost never a good idea unless you
want to annoy someone who wants/needs it) or
- create two levels of configuration. For example by having a regular and an
advanced control center. Or using the Gnome&Windows way, by having a tool
that works directly on the configuration files.

bye...