List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: KDE Control Center
From:       Poletti Don <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2002-08-05 15:36:22

While I agree completely that the control center is bloated and
intimidating to newbies and even a few power users I think we
should start with some high level philosophy about the layout
before getting into specifics. Although to explain an concept an
example is always nice.

1) Operation system vs application. Good thing we're not MS and in
court. Personally I don't like all the application centric dialogs
in here. For instance web browsing controls Konq but not Mozilla of
course mozilla is not a KDE app but does Joe average now that. Really
what we have here is setting for libraries (ogg and MP3 settings) this
is very confusing. I don't trust any app to use the setting from there and
I would always double check them in the actually app.

One argument I heard for having the application setting here is if
it is a componet it could be embedded in another app with no way to
set the preferences. I don't have a good solution but I'm against having
them in the control panel.

2) Look'n'Feel. This has a large sub-tree. in fact everything could be
here since its a gui. This has to be re-thought/re-named or removed. I'm
leaning toward removed. I think this was really meant as appearance and
should only have themes/styles but other stuff has gotten in there.

3) Themes/styles/individual setting. A theme can set you colors/icons
background etc. but then there are individual dialogs for the colors
icons etc. Should these be linked in some way. I had stopped using
KDE for about 6 months and when I came back it took me 20 minutes
to figure out how to change the widgets appearnce ( I was looking
under theme and not sytle).

4) psedo setting, import legacy themes. This is a appliation not
configuration dialog. I think it should be removed but others might
argue its convient here.

I'm hoping to declutter the CC but making the individual dialogs
simplier. For instance the new backgroud dialog is a single panel
and doesn't have tabs. Possible this can be made a tab on the desktop
dialog thus removing one entry from the CC.