List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RFC: Usability Project Roadmap for 3.2
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-04 10:22:02

On Saturday 03 August 2002 23:53, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> Kopete: since Kopete will reach a 1.0 release in KDE 3.2 and be one of the
> banner features, it should receive usability testing and fixing as
> necessary before that point. Duncan MacVicar is on-side with this concept
> and we will have a Kopete devel or two to work with on this post 3.1. The
> API for Kopete will be stabilizing in the next few weeks, just in time for
> 3.2 work.

... except for the plugin loader API. The rest of the Kopete API is now mostly
reaching a more or less mature state, and the plugin loader is not of that
much importance for usability, except in the plugin selector widget.

Oh, and expect quite some files to be moved around outside libkopete into
directories that are not to be used by plugin to clearly define private and
public API. No idea whether that (possibly) harms the usability efforts.
Maybe I can do this the next few weeks before the 0.5 release, but quite
possibly this will have to wait for 0.6, which development starts one or two
months from now.

Lastly, current CVS is in a rough shape usability-wise, because we're halfway
the move to the new contact list API. I would seriously recommend anybody to
wait a bit before starting to do usability testing until this is settled. No
exact ETA, but think a few weeks at most before things begin to settle again.

> We will need people who are up for testing Kopete from CVS and
> doing both testing with RLUs[1] as well as Empiral Reports (or ERs, as I've
> started calling them) for inclusion in the reports section of
> kdeusability.kde.org. Any takers?

Not me for the actual testing, but I assume I can lend a hand in fixing the
issues found.

> TOM: I'll be completing TOM along with help from others who are working on
> various dialogs, etc. This will be ready for 3.2 as well. I hope to add it
> to CVS shortly after the release of 3.1.

May I ask what TOM is? :)

Martijn