List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RFC: Usability Project Roadmap for 3.2
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-08-03 21:53:05

Hi all...

So a few of us showed up on irc for the usability roadmap discussion... What
we basically came up with this:

Kopete: since Kopete will reach a 1.0 release in KDE 3.2 and be one of the
banner features, it should receive usability testing and fixing as necessary
before that point. Duncan MacVicar is on-side with this concept and we will
have a Kopete devel or two to work with on this post 3.1. The API for Kopete
will be stabilizing in the next few weeks, just in time for 3.2 work. We will
need people who are up for testing Kopete from CVS and doing both testing
with RLUs[1] as well as Empiral Reports (or ERs, as I've started calling
them) for inclusion in the reports section of kdeusability.kde.org. Any
takers?

Configuration Panels: Don Poletti will be working on the desktop configuration
panels (he's already quite a ways through on the Background panel). I'll be
his co-consipirator on this, and there will be the usual on-list discussions.
As usual, the more the merrier. =)

Small Apps: In the spirit of "App of the Week" we picked two apps to look at
for 3.2: KJots and KGet. I'm about 2/3rds of the way done a UI reworking of
KJots due to a bout of insomnia last night, so will be looking for usability
feedback during the 3.2 devel cycle. Allistair brought up KGet, so he'll be
heading up that charge.

Kicker: Braving the wilds of controversy, we're going to attempt a new Kicker
layout that improves upon the current one. We already have a start with the
kicker layouts that have been collected. We should aim for 3.2 for results.

TOM: I'll be completing TOM along with help from others who are working on
various dialogs, etc. This will be ready for 3.2 as well. I hope to add it to
CVS shortly after the release of 3.1.

Components: In 3.1 the file dialog component got something of an overhaul. It
would be nice to do the same for another common KDE component, perhaps the
Configure Toolbars dialog or some other such common widget. This would
require someone willing to take on the various tasks (or at least their
coordination), which include: a usability report, RLU[1] testing and coding
fixes. The same person doesn't have to do all three, obviously.

This is already a good amount of work, but we can add to it if there are
people willing to take on those tasks.

Thoughts, ideas, questions, additions, modifications, and "sign me up!"s all
welcome... take care...

[1] Real Life Users

- --
Aaron J. Seigo