List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Website Status
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-07-31 17:19:22

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 10:23, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > - - FAQ: "The project leader for the KDE Usability Project is Aaron J.
> > Seigo." Er? Was this decided? It's true that he doing a superb job and
> > probably doing the most work, but him becoming in charge has happened
> > without my knowledge. But OK, Aaron: if you want to be in charge of
> > everything, mail me and I'll hand over the access codes.
>
> The Project FAQ needs work. yes. I'm not trying to make a political
> statement here, so don't get too excited. :) I haven't seen anything from
> the people listed in the current Project FAQ, and Aaron currently handles
> co-ordination with the core KDE group. So it seemed natural that he was
> closest to being "the project leader". This is all an action from me, not
> Aaron, BTW.

/me goes to the FAQ ... reads ... is surprised

huh. ok, well,  i had no idea that i was the "project leader". the project
loud-mouth and one of the code-donkeys, sure ;-)

i know that i do tend to coordinate a fair number of things and have a fairly
obvious presence here, but that's largely because i want to and have found
motivation and time to do so. i have no desire to run the website (i do
enough of that elsewhere =) or "chair" the project (whatever that means) ...

it's probably appropriate in that FAQ point to note that Marten is the project
maintainer ...  and perhaps change "leader" to something like "coordinator".

in the "what do i need to know to get involved" answer you may want to point
them to our resources links, as well...

> > - - What happened to the usability report submission system, which works
> > (although almost nobody seemed to care or even know it exists; I wonder
> > if anyone noted my efforts when I gave the whole site an overhaul a
> > couple of months ago) and was a pain in the ass to write? Would be a
> > waste of effort to throw it away...
>
> Yes it would be a waste to throw away. I started from nothing and
> copied/fixed stuff from the old site and moved it into a new site. Since
> it's not being currently used much, and it holds no reports right now, it
> has received fairly low attention from me I must admit. (So much to do, so
> little time. It's nothing personally against you or the report system. :)
> ). You are welcome to move the report system back in place and maintain it,
> that's why we have CVS, and that's why I put the stuff I've been working on
> in CVS first, and posted to this list before going live.

the report system is a MUST imo... there are some severe problems with it as
it stands right now, however, include:

 o the login link is hard to find. the word "Login" in the first paragraph
should be a link itself.
 o once at the login how do i get an account if i don't have one?
 o what if i forget my password?
 o how do i become a report maintainer?
 o do additions / changes get emailed to me if i'm a maintainer?
 o how many items are in each section listed in the drop down? (so i avoid
going to an empty report)
 o once i'm in a report, how do i get back to the main report form? (the link
on the side isn't handy enough)
etc.. etc...

if this is merged with the new site (which is should be) and Marten doesn't
have the time to fix these issues, i will budget some time to do so. once it
is in good working order we need to ANNOUNCE this thing so people start using
it. building it and then letting it sit there will not get it used =)

the next thing we really need to do is put together a TODO list of goals for
3.2 for the usability project. these should be attainable goals including:

	o specific UI elements to examine/improve
	o a list of apps to tackle as "app of the week" type deals
	o specific areas to write reports on (pick one or two of these only)

the list should be assembled by group discussion which should consist of
people proposing things they are personally willing to invest themselves in.
this does not mean coding only, but it does mean that if you suggest
something goes on the list you should be prepared to put some effort into
ensuring that item gets taken care of. with that itinerary in place, it
should find its way onto the website and on the 3.2 TODO list at
developer.kde.org

btw, i'm busy doing a bunch of writing right now for KDE and am attempting to
finish off my 3.1 TODO list, so my available time for new things is limited
in the extreme for the next couple weeks.

take care ....

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein