List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: yet another panel layout
From:       Matt Bonyak <dingodonkey () stny ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-07-25 5:45:40

On Thursday 25 July 2002 01:24 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 10:46, Matt Bonyak wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 July 2002 07:11 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > i left kmail out because most keep their email optn all the time. it
> > > isn't accessed very often, and is available in the menu.
> >
> > I definitely don't think this is true.  Most average users open their
> > e-mail to check it, read it, and send messages.  Then they close it
> > again. This is the behaviour I've observed in all of my friends, their
> > families, and my family.  I'm really the only one I know that leaves it
> > up at all times, and that's merely to accomodate the mailing lists that I
> > subscribe to.
>
> here it is just the opposite (even in windows)
>
> /me thinks about it for a bit
>
> could it be because dial-up is so rare here and always-on connections ar
> ethe norm?

No, we're an area dominated by cable.

> could it be because i'm also used to more corporate/business type settings?

I suspect so.

> > Ehh...  I dunno about that one either.  I think most people DO use that
> > clock...  More than they'd use empty space, anyway.
>
> see how it looks w/out the empty space, then think about how useful the
> clock really is.

*thinks*
I'd rather that empty space were used for the taskbar, to be honest.
As for the clock...  Well, when you look at it, you can figure out what time
it is!  That can be very useful!  Seriously though, I think you underestimate
how widely (and subconsciously) used it is.