List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       "Gordon Tyler" <gordon () doxxx ! net>
Date:       2002-07-19 14:54:22

From: "Eric Christopherson" <rakko@charter.net>

> It would be fine with me if one could right-click, bring up the context
> menu, and then basically *ignore* the context menu. E.g., I would

It's not usable. Newbies have enough trouble finding the RMB context menu; I
doubt they'll think of this.

> I've played around with auto-selecting icons in the past, but it's never
met
> my expectations. As it's currently implemented, the user hovers over an
icon

I've always found that I had to set the delay long enough that it didn't
select files at random as I moved my mouse but then when I wanted to
selected files I found the delay very frustrating. As far as I'm concerned,
auto-select is useless in it's current incarnation and I don't see how it
could be improved.

If single-click is the default, we _have_ to come up with a solution for
selecting a single file that does not suck.

Ciao,
Gordon