List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Sebastien Biot <seb () viralata ! net>
Date:       2002-07-19 4:57:43

I'm very glad to see that you guys are finding this first study
interesting. It's very encouraging. Simon (Edwards) asked if it could
be put on usability.kde.org. The answer is yes of course.

About the test participants:
Test participants were between 20 and 55 years old with education
levels ranging from high school diploma to PhD. All of them had in
common at least 2 years of day-to-day experience with computers (read
familiarity with Windows & MS Office for the most part). Only one had
a background in Engineering/Computer Science. None of them had any
meaningful experience with computing environments other than Windows.

About the single-click/double-click issue:
Like most of you I have a personal preference; I'm a double-click guy
(this sounds a bit dirty :). I cannot say though that I know for
certain what KDE should do about this issue since I don't believe
that double-clicking is intrinsically better than single-clicking.
However, I would argue that
 1) people are generally more accustomed to double-clicking,
 2) adopting common interface standards facilitates learning, and
 3) in an environment with a reputation for complexity (Unix)
following this kind of de facto standard would reassure new or
potential users. (Remember the commotion caused by the clipboard's
behavior a few months ago!)
In other words, I'd rather have people say "KDE is very easy to get
used to and it has nifty customization options like active
single-clicking" rather than "KDE was too weird; I gave up."
Single-click fans could still enable active single-clicks anyway.

I'll try to get more user feedback on this issue with the next test.

Generally speaking, I think we have to accept that a lot of the
feedback or data we'll get from usability studies will come from what
people have come to expect from Windows or MacOS. This will
unfortunately include bad habits they will have picked up from these
OSes. We all want to make KDE the best desktop environment out there,
one that truly empowers people, makes them more creative and more
productive. To do this, we must make working with KDE as easy and fun
as possible and get out of the user's way. If that means integrating
inherited behaviors, even theoretically inferior behaviors, then so
be it. Correct behavior for the sake of correct behavior is like
technology for the sake of technology, it's senseless. And as my
mother always says: "Better is the enemy of good."

Seb