List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: file dialog section of eugenia's article
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-07-12 15:34:22

On Friday 12 July 2002 02:07, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> ==============
> I believe that the biggest problem in this dialog, and a bit laughable from
> a UI point of view, is the redundancy of the "Home Directory". In this
> dialog, it is accessible from three different locations as you can see from
> the screenshot.
> ==============
>
> *sigh* after this i'm an seriously this >< close to removing the home icon
> on the toolbar and the rmb menu ... i think that if people want quick
> links, use the quick link bar. it is also on by default. the toolbar home
> predates the quick links and only adds to the clutter ...
>
> somebody stop me otherwise they may soon be gone ;-)

Do it man!! That button has been asking for it for a long time...

There you go, you should be over the edge now... ;-)

> ==========
> The context menu inside the dialog is really poorly designed. When someone
> has selected some files or directories inside the open/save dialog, almost
> the same context menu as the one described above for the desktop icons
> should apply. Instead, what we see here is a mix of options that apply to
> selected files and to actions that should be done when no files are
> selected (eg. Back, Parent Directory, Sorting etc). There should be two
> kinds of context menus there, one for selected files/folders and one for
> when nothing is selected. Currently everything is in a mix, and nothing is
> obvious. From usability point of view, this needs fixing ASAP.

Eugenia appears to be a litte confused as to how the RMB menu actually works.
The context menu you get depends on which on-screen object you RMB click on.
Not whether files are selected or not. In fact, if you RMB click on a file,
you select it at the same time. So how would you get a context menu on a file
such that no files are selected? Under what conditions would the
Back/Forward/Up menu items appear? :-/

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/