List:       kde-usability
Subject:    file dialog section of eugenia's article
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-07-12 0:07:02

ok.. file dialog suggestiosn from Eugenia's article ....

==============
I believe that the biggest problem in this dialog, and a bit laughable from a
UI point of view, is the redundancy of the "Home Directory". In this dialog,
it is accessible from three different locations as you can see from the
screenshot.
==============

*sigh* after this i'm an seriously this >< close to removing the home icon on
the toolbar and the rmb menu ... i think that if people want quick links, use
the quick link bar. it is also on by default. the toolbar home predates the
quick links and only adds to the clutter ...

somebody stop me otherwise they may soon be gone ;-)

===============
Also, KDE should take more initiative and add more "Favorite" places along wth
the "Documents," "Temporary Files," places: My Music, My Downloads and other
options as found appropriate.
================

and where would we point them to in the file system?
my music directory happens to be /home/music ....
my downloads usually go to /home/aaron/src .... (guess what i'm usually
downloading? ;-)

the problem isn't so much that we can't or wouldn't set up some useful links,
but rather tha we don't have anywhere standard to point them to. i hope
you'll agree with me that having dead links would be worse than no links.

==================
The Encoding Selection should be under the "Extras".
==================

the encoding selection is added by the application, it isn't part of
kfiledialog itself. there is work underway to allow proper adding of such a
widget, however.

==================
The "Detailed/Short View" should be under Extras/View as well.
 The Preview does not work if one has selected "Separate Directories" from the
Extras/View menu. This needs fixing.
==================

these items have been fixed in CVS for a few weeks now =)

==================
 The Favorites MS Outlook-like bar on the left, need to have a little button
like Mozilla has, that it will allow it to autocollapse.
==================

this will require some work in Qt as Waldo pointed out ... i won't get to this
before 3.1, but maybe someone else might ...

==================
The "Preview" button should go on the left or not be there at all.
=================

 it's in the configure menu now (which used to be the extras menu) ... we seem
to have some similar thoughts on these matters =)

==============
 A Preview should appear immediately after one has checked the "Automatic
Preview" checkbox.
==============

it does, at least running from CVS ....

==============
The Preview button is redundant there, and in fact, it confuses the user as it
does not even align correctly with the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons underneath
it.
==============

i'll agree that it is ugly in its current position, but how is it redundant?
if you don't have automatic preview selected, how does the preview show up?
or if you wish to refresh the preview when auto is selected, how do you do
that?

(i've done both in regular usage)

==========
The context menu inside the dialog is really poorly designed. When someone has
selected some files or directories inside the open/save dialog, almost the
same context menu as the one described above for the desktop icons should
apply. Instead, what we see here is a mix of options that apply to selected
files and to actions that should be done when no files are selected (eg.
Back, Parent Directory, Sorting etc). There should be two kinds of context
menus there, one for selected files/folders and one for when nothing is
selected. Currently everything is in a mix, and nothing is obvious. From
usability point of view, this needs fixing ASAP.
============

and how do you explain to a user that they can't select the back/forward/etc
selections from the menu when they have something selected? this would be
particularly bad when you use the detalied view since how to deselect an item
isn't exactly obvious for most.

no, menus that magically change depending on the phase of the moon would be
horrific. forget about learnability or unsurprising.

also bear in mind that the RMB is an advanced feature. it can be a bit more
learning-curve-heavy if that's the best way to offer the functionality users
desire. since the RMB menu itself is static, it is quite learnable. it might
not be immediately obvious the first time someone uses it, but it can be
learned and muscle-memorized quite nicely to provide the user with more
functionality.

a user only uses an interface for the first time once. it's our goal to make
that first time comfortable, but it is also our responsibility to make the
rest of their usage powerful and comfortable.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein