List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Copying & Moving blues
From:       Michael Peligro <mikepeligro () philwebinc ! com>
Date:       2002-07-07 17:24:10

I have this one complaint about copying and moving in a Konqueror. This
problem happens with Windows too.

I need to copy/move a SINGLE directory (with subfolders and files) from
source A to target B. Sometimes when I'm in a rush, I tend to
copy/move right away WITHOUT CHECKING if target B has sufficient
space to hold the files from source A.

What Konqueror does is copy/move the files FIRST from source A, then
INFORM me LATER with a dialog box that there is no more space left on
target B.

After dismissing the insufficient space dialog box, target B has the
subfolders/files that were copied/moved first. Source A also has the
remaining subfolders/files that were left out.

This leaves me with TWO SEPARATE directories on source A and target
B, from the original SINGLE directory that I had in source A.

Note that this will also happen if the copying/moving was interrupted by
a power failure, computer breakdown, etc...

It would be better if:

1. Konqueror TELLS me FIRST with a dialog box that there is insufficient
space in target B BEFORE copying the files. Having been informed as
such, I could free more space on target B, then copy/move the directory
again.

Going back to the two orphan directories in source A and target B...

How can I RECONCILE the two directories into a SINGLE directory AGAIN
on target B?

I can do this manually.

Suppose there are 20+ or more subfolders in the original directory? I'll
waste a great deal of time manually reconciling the subfolders in source
A and target B.

Konqueror has this dialog box with Overwrite and Autoskip options, but I
doubt whether it can correctly recreate the original directory structure in
source A.

I suggest that:

1. Konqueror TAKES NOTE (writes to a temp file or something) of the
directory structure BEFORE COPYING,

2. IF the moving/copying process is INTERRUPTED by a power outage, a
computer breakdown, or an insufficient disk space error, Konqueror
REMEMBERS the directories/files that were transferred to target B and
those that were left on source A.

3. After I log-in again (or after I free-up space on target B), Konqueror
will PROMPT me to RESUME the interrupted copying/moving AND
correctly BUILDS UP the SINGLE DIRECTORY again in target B.

I hope I put the problem across correctly.

Michael