List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Strategy Discussion
From:       Robert Watkins <robert_maria () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-07-04 1:41:06

>> Doesn’t it concern you that developers are
>> creating programs without an understanding
>> of the subject matter?
>
>Why should that concern me?
Dear Lord! Without understanding, at a minimum,
the needs that a user would have and which the
application is intended to fill seems a colossal
waste of time. The only benefit I can see for
writing an application under these circumstances
is some sort of 'Look at these screens I made'
kind of ego boost. If there is no ultimate goal
of creating an application that is reasonably
close to filling a true need, there is no need to
consider Usability for the project.

>> Who are they writing the application for,
then?

>For themselves, usually. Sometimes for
>friends,
>or family.
Don't look now, but you've just started to
identify the target user for an application...
Just a few more details and you have some useful
information.

>> Besides, creating an application that will
>> likely fail because of a lack of understanding
>> seems a poor way to spend what little time
>> is available to volunteer coders.
>
>Do you do any sports? Isn't that a waste of time
>considering that it is ver>y
>unlikely that you will ever win an olympic
>medal?

If you _are_ working towards the Olympics and
fail to learn the best techniques, enhance your
existing techniqes, get feedback from people you
trust and/or respect, don't be surprised if you
don't get there. If you're just out for a good
time, don't sweat it if you aren't making
progress. As long as you're having fun, don't
change.

Similarly for Usability. If your whole goal in
volunteering for OSS development is to have some
satisfaction in affecting an appliction, then
keep working the way you are. However, if you are
interested in Usability, you have to get
knee-deep in the subject to gain any benefit from
it. Just calling a discussion about "Look at my
new screenshot!" isn't appropriate as a general
Usability topic.

Robert