List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [Konsole-devel] clipboard behaviour
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-01 19:26:56

On Sunday 30 June 2002 10:40 am, Joseph Manojlovich wrote:
> I don't care that there are two ways to select and paste text, that's
> great and all, but why does there have to be a different clipboard for
> each? I can't think of another GUI that does this, and even KDE 2
> didn't. Why exactly can't both techniques share the same clipboard?

GNOME and netscape behave the same as KDE3 in this regard.

Using the same clipboard as we did in KDE2 breaks the ctrl-c/ctrl-v copy/paste
behaviour: Imagine two applications A and B, you select something in A, copy
it to the clipboard, now you select something in B and choose "Paste" to
replace it with the clipboard contents.

What happens?

If you have a single clipboard for both selection and clipboard the selection
you made in B will be copied to the clipboard and when you paste it, it will
replace the selection with itself instead of replacing it with the data from
A that you explicitly copied to the clipboard.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com