List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KFileDialog take 2
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-06-30 21:56:44

On Sunday 30 June 2002 04:40, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> Which is my problem with it, i dont think the users tmp files and the
> systems tmp files should be put in the same place. As i mentioned, my

unless of course the user is looking for where all the temporary files go to
open something up there.

> temp dir already contains 105 files, and that is all stuff that kde has
> generated. I dont think it is very helpful to point a user to that
> directory.

so we should point them somewhere where the temp files aren't when they are
looking for the place to put temp files?

> I also dont think it should use /tmp as on some systems this
> is nuked at reboot, which the user might not know, and not all
> temporary files are THAT temporary :)

the word is "temporary", as in the opposite of "permanent"

> Right now the desktop is in the homedir, and trash is in the desktop
> dir. I cant see why there couldnt be a temp folder in the homedir as
> well.

because the system cleans out the temp dirs and the /tmp directory has been
set aside for exactly that purpose. there is a symlink in you $KDEHOME to the
temp dir, however.

> Another argument is if they backup their entire home directory and later
> restore it. If you use the temporary files button i dont think it is
> obvious to the user they he/she is not saving to their homedir
> somewhere, and the temporary files will then not be in that backup. The

again, temporary not permanent ... backups are irrelevant

as for it obviously not being in their homedir, the location is clearly shown.

> (why there is a documents option that just points at ~ i dont know),

because that's where your documents go?

> out. That also makes it hard for them to later locate the files with
> konqueror since IIRC there is no "temporary files" shortcut there. I
> generally dont think it is easy enough to find the locations from the
> sidebar in konqueror which i think is a problem. Think: "i just saved a
> file using a location from the sidebar, and now i would like to find
> the file with konqueror"

if people indeed need to regularly get to their temp files in konqueror, then
that is a deficiency in konqeuror rather than the file dialog.

EOT for me

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein