List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KFileDialog toolbar
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-29 23:56:12

On Saturday 29 June 2002 04:26 pm, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> I would have the following buttons:
>
> top, back, forward, home, refresh, bookmarks.
> Those are just like they are today.
>
> Then:
>
> view, sort, sidebar, preview, new directory.

Can't view and sort be combined? They both manipulate the way in which the
files are presented.

The same goes to some extent for sidebar and preview.

> This means however that delete is gone as an option, but could still be
> found in the rmb context menu.

I think that's ok, you need to select the file anyway.

> I also very much think that the short view should scroll vertically
> instead of horizontically. I actually find the horizontal scrolling a
> bit confusing as in all other places im so used to scrolling DOWN
> through a list. It also makes using the scroll wheel harder as you need
> to place the pointer on top of the scrollbar. It is especailly annoying
> when the dialog is not very big and you only have one column on the
> screen at a time. I cant think of any other place where i have to
> scroll sideways through a list.

Yes, there is some merit to horizontal scrolling in "wide mode" but I think it
should switch to vertical mode if both the sidebar and preview are vissible.

> Another thing, that i guess is a necesary evil, but that i dont even
> really understand =) and i know the normal user will understand it even
> less, is the encoding drop down. Is it really needed?

Yes, but only for a limited set of users. It's rather strange that it shows a
dialog instead of just having a menu dropping down from the button.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com