List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Why I don't stay involved
From:       Robert Watkins <robert_maria () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-28 14:45:32

Hello All,

I joined this list several months ago in hopes of
being able to contribute to OSS, Usability, KDE,
and lots of other things.

I continue to be disappointed with the content of
the posts on this site. Most of the issues
identified have little or nothing to do with
applying usability practices on applications.
Most issues are bug reports or functionality
questions.

Granted, these issues have their place in
Usability discussions, but they shouldn't
dominate the board.

Maybe I've missed the discussions where people
talk about being involved with developers to
discuss how to add new functionality, how to
decide what to test, discussing how to construct
a meaninful test, going over the results,
agreeing to changes, and so on.

Usability is not something that is done after the
product or enhancement is released, it is the
beginning steps that describe how to implement
the features that are going to be used.

Based on what I read (which is sporatic at best)
the discussion board should be titled
'kde-widgets-and-bugs'.

I'd like to hear from anyone on the list that has
comments. I doubt that there are many (if any)
members of the list that actually bring to the
group a background of performing Usability
techniques from their jobs. If I'm wrong, I'd
like to hear from you and your opinions on this.

Thanks,
Robert Watkins

=====