List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: OT: Fwd: Re: Lost all KControl modules
From:       Chris Howells <chris () chrishowells ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-28 8:08:32

Hi,

On Friday 28 June 2002 4:55 am, Irwin K wrote:

> Suddenly, you're going to be stuck with no KMenus (all system wide) and a
> lot of angry users who can't use KDE anymore because their menu is broken.

If you're a good syadmin you'll have recovered a backup within a few minutes
and nobody will notice :P

> Worse, this is an *UNRECOVERABLE* option.  Because you've destroyed the

So is rm -rf /.

As the famous quote goes:

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.
                -- Doug Gwyn
"

> So yes, maybe it's silly for me to have installed KDE as a user and deleted
> my settings, but I think that this should be reversible.  If you delete
> your KDE settings, you should be able to, at the least, go to
> $KDEDIR/lib/defaultsettings.tar.gz or something and untar it to make a new
> $KDEDIR/share/applnks directory.

OK, so deleting the KMenu is only a tiny fraction of what _could_ go wrong. Do
you want to provide "backups" for the rest of things that could go wrong?
What happens if you delete the backups and the thing restoring the backup?

> The problem really isn't in that KDE needs backups, the problem is that
> it's EASY to go in as root and delete your kicker icons, and it's EASY to

No it's not. I have to type 'su'. I then have to enter a password of about 14
digits, then I have to execute the command. I don't see how it could be made
harder.

> delete your KMenu (consequently busting your KControl).  It's easy to
> totally destroy your KDE setup for ALL of your users.  Even if you're a

Like I said, it's easy to totally hose your entire system, which would be far
worse than loosing the functionality of KControl.

> talented sysadmin, you'll probably end up sitting there, wondering what the
> hell you're going to do now.

Restore a backup... ?

> so that's what my beef has become.  Anyway, that's it for now... will work
> on patch.

Erm, a patch for what?

- --
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org