List:       kde-usability
Subject:    OT: My KControl modules disappeared
From:       Irwin K <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-06-25 2:42:06

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I broke KControl on my machine and it's very
annoying to work without it.  (My K-Menu for example has no entries in it, my
file types aren't recognized, and I obviously cannot set any preferences such
as wallpapers and colours.)

I deleted the Preferences menu from the K-Menu and consequently, I cannot load
any of my kcontrol modules anymore... I'm wondering if anyone has seen this
and can fix it (short of reinstalling KDE.)

*Note: I've already tried deleting the .kde and .kderc directories: it didn't
help.

~~
Usability-related note:

This is a technical problem but it's also a usability problem: deleting a
group from the KMenu shouldn't disable all of your kcontrol modules.  NOTHING
the user does in casual use should disable the desktop like this.  I feel
like I'm in WIndows again, where touching some setting happens to make your
computer unusable.

This also brings to light the need of a "rescue your KDE settings" application
that can help restore settings that might break KDE.

Will check for and log a bug on bugs.kde.org.

~~

[irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:15:22
[/opt/kde3/share]$ kcontrol
kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
Defaulting to Settings/
[irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:15:59
[/opt/kde3/share]$

I get the KControl window, but nothing shows up on the side.

Similarly if I type:

[irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:16:23
[/opt/kde3/share]$ kcmshell konqueror
kcmshell: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
Defaulting to Settings/
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=kcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names
kcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths.
kcmshell: Unable to load module using ComponentFactory! Falling back to old
loader.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=kcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names
kcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libkcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names
libkcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths.
kcmshell: Unable to load module using ComponentFactory! Falling back to old
loader.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libkcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names
libkcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths.
[irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:16:32
[/opt/kde3/share]$

--