List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kilt - KDE I18n & L10n Tool
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-06-24 6:19:22

Hi,

> Have a look at the screenshots, and give Kilt a whirl if you've got the
> time (it's a fairly short compile). I'd like to hear the KDE users' and
> developers' comments, and whether or not you'd like to see it as part of
> KDE.

I haven't compiled it, but it looks quite useful. I assume you posted to this
list because you wanted usability feedback, well here is some... :-)

* Avoid submenus, they are difficult to use, especially for the kind of people
who will be using an internet cafe. Perhaps just put the language and
keyboard menu items on the root menu and use a separator bar to group them.
Now, that leaves the problem of the menu items looking identical. :-/ Perhaps
append " language" or " keyboard" to the menu items. I just hope this
solution isn't worse than the problem it solves. Anyone else on this list
have thoughts on this one?

* Avoid using the terms "i18n" and "l10n", they're geek terms I'm afraid.
Perhaps title it "Language Settings"...

* Looking at the screenshots, you've got 'Configure...' in 3 separated
places/menus. Is it possible to have just one "Configure..." menu item on the
root menu? Usually an app only has one "Configure" menu item...

* Is it possible to highlight the currently active setting like a normal menu,
insetad of using "Currently: United Kingdom" or "Currently: English (UK)" in
the submenu title?

but still, Good Work.

> If on the other hand, you'd prefer that I didn't add these features to
> KXKB, just say so. Although I've put quite a lot of work into Kilt, the
> amount I've learned from writing it has been worth the effort alone. :)

I don't see why not.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/