List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Website
From:       Marten Klencke <mklencke () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-06-20 19:16:35

Hi!

On Thursday 20 June 2002 19:28, Simon Edwards wrote:
> * Links in the text are not underlined. They really should be underlined.

I think that's standard across all KDE sites. It was in the stylesheet I used.

> * Poor navigation. The navigation only shows the first 2 levels of the
> site. This is a problem when you drill down into the site past 2 levels.

Yes, the names and structure are probably poor. But it doesn't go very deep (I
tried to make it that way) and deep menu trees are kind of uncomfortable
anyway, right? But you're definitely right, it could use improvement.

> * Relationship between the menubar/column and the current page is not
> shown. i.e. the current page you are on should be shown on the menu.

It was there in the beginning. But the structure was kind of awkward to work
with, so I removed it. When improving the site we can come up with some way
to make it work again.
> * webmaster@usability.kde.org bounces.

I think it still points at Jono's address. (not sure) (anyone: Did Jono stop
working on KDE?)

> * To read a news item from the front page you need to click on the news
>  heading. It may not be obvious that the headinglink should be clicked on.
> I think it is better if the whole news article is displayed on the front
> page. They are not that big anyway.

This code is also taken from other pages (namely office.kde.org). It is indeed
not very obvious you have to click on the title. Maybe an excerpt of the news
article should be shown with a "More..." link?
Anyway, if this gets changed it should be coordinated with other sites.

> * The front page doesn't quickly explain what the Usability project is
> about. It should explain what the project is about in one line (a tag-line
> perhaps). This should be the first line on the front page.

Agreed. It says that you can learn about the project, but doesn't tell you
what it is :-)

Best regards,

Marten Klencke